Had a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation happen.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion' started by Blain, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Blain

Blain Well-Known Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

I'm in this tomb and can't find the ladder down. No sign of a boss chest so I suspect that another level awaits somewhere perhaps beyond where the fire and poison trap are blocking my final area not explored. Really, I got to give myself credit for realizing maybe a stone-skin spell might do the trick to pass.

YESSS. I built and cast the spell and away I went. It's those moments where the game gives you these if I may say realistic conundrums that makes this game appealing. Of course curiosity and greed helped to.

It was fortunate though that I had the gems to pull this off. Generally when I find a spell I disassemble it to use the gems later. Lucky for me I found the solution. So there was indeed a ladder down. Now what else will I have to overcome! Wheee, so much fun!
    Aleopheus, scorpius, tnoyce and 3 others like this.
  2. Alex Norton

Alex Norton The Lord of Ahkranox Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

You have no idea how much I love reading things like this.
  3. Alex Norton

I hope you don't mind, Blain, but I shared this on the Facebook page because it's so awesome :D It's little details like this which is why I love this game so much.
    tnoyce, ShoHashi and Barmage like this.
  4. Blain

Oh, for sure Alex. Heh, I don't mind! Kinda flattered actually. :)
    It's awesome when a game is designed in such a way that the challenges don't feel artificial but instead the game keeps you on your toes. Bravo to you and your team Sir Alex!
    Alex Norton, scorpius and tnoyce like this.
  5. Alex Norton

It's things like this which highlight why Malevolence has been so difficult to code. Where other devs code a game, Malevolence isn't actually a game. It's an AI system which, in turn, makes a game around the player. It's why the game world is infinite and why odd challenges like this pop up. It's just the engine's AI system acting like a kind of unlimited, tireless Dungeon Master!
    scorpius, tnoyce and ShoHashi like this.
  6. Blain

Thanks Alex. But I am confused. Because of the AI then what ? Does each player have different experiences? Does character class, level, achievements introduce custom aspects into the game? I also don't understand, that if the game is built around a player, then how can other players find and experience the dungeons, towns Iv'e been at? I.E. some aspects of the generated world must be common to all players? What is infinite then in the game?
  7. Alex Norton

Since each player is using the same AI engine, they all have the same world built. The way it works is that a bit of the world is generated, and when the player reaches the edge, a bit more is generated by the AI. Since everyone is using the same AI engine, it generates the same new bit of world for them.

The game world is infinite because the AI will never stop building more world. The more you keep reaching the edge of what is generated, the more world is built for you. If you keep walking, the engine keeps generating more and more and more. And since it does it using the same process for all players, everyone gets the same world. If that makes sense.
  8. Alex Norton

Other aspects, such as loot and monster placement, is generated randomly. This ensures a certain amount of replayability, even if the world is the same, your experience within it will be different each time you play.
    scorpius and ShoHashi like this.
  9. Blain

So then are you saying that the AI is creating a new portion of the world no one but me has seen yet but anyone later will find this new region when they follow my footsteps? Where does the AI help? I mean in a sense you have a random map generator. How does the AI assist?
  10. Alex Norton

In a sense you can think of it like "careful random generation" I suppose. There is a long set of rules which the generation process must adhere to in order to work and fit the theme. How bodies of water are placed, how plants are positioned, the layout of dungeon corridors, etc. If it was just pure random you wouldn't get things like you experienced in the original post, or you'd get dungeon layouts which don't make sense. The AI is tuned so that it creates a cohesive gameplay experience, and makes decisions based off of what I would do if I were hand-crafting it.

In fact, early versions of the game WERE in a hand-crafted world. Then one day I realised I was making similar decisions over and over again, and realised that the process could be automated quite nicely if I built an AI engine to make those decisions for me and threw in juuuuuuust enough randomisation to keep things spicy.
    tnoyce likes this.