New Sound Effects - Spells

Discussion in 'Team News' started by Nicolas Lee, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Nicolas Lee

Nicolas Lee Official Composer A true warrior of Ahkranox

Shephard, Tsusaku, ShoHashi and 2 others like this.
  2. Hyfrydle

Hyfrydle Official Beta Tester (Moderator) Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Fantastic can't wait to hear them in game.
  3. Nicolas Lee

Yeah same here :D
  4. Alex Norton

Alex Norton The Lord of Ahkranox Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

5. subsistcyber

subsistcyber Official Project Backer (Moderator) Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

6. Aleopheus

Aleopheus Official Project Backer A true warrior of Ahkranox

Great sounds. Are more sounds for the other spells planned ? Stoneskin would be nice if this sound a little bit more if stone grind on stone. Or your skin turn to stone. Ghostform if it sounds ethereal / ghostly not from this world. A nice effekt would be if ghostform is like in lord of the rings. Shadows, unreal world, only looms and schemes.
    Tsusaku likes this.
  7. Alex Norton

From what I know he's planning a full collection of sounds! Yee!
    Aleopheus likes this.
  8. Nicolas Lee

Alex is correct, I'm attempting to provide a sound for each spell. Wish me luck, it's a bit of a task! Roland managed a few before he went Big Leagues, but I'll have to deal with the rest. Here's the list:

Fireball - Done (Roland)
    Heal - Done (Roland)
    Lightning - Done (Roland)
    Invisibility - Done
    Invincibility - Done
    Nightvision - Done
    Empower
    Light
    Trap disarm
    Trap reveal
    Loot reveal
    Speed boost
    Frost blast
    Freeze
    Charm
    Reflect
    Poison
    Mana drain
    Shockwave
    Ghost form
    Stat detriment

Yikes!
    Blatherbeard likes this.
  9. Nicolas Lee

The Invisibility spell has kind of a fun story:

I started with a (royalty free) stock sound effect of a arrow flyby. I cut off the arrow impact, leaving just the "swoosh" of the flyby. I then duplicated the flyby sound 4-5 times, lining them up with a small gap between each, applying an increasing amount of speed increase to each, so the first one was slowest and the last one was fastest.
    I then automated a pitch shift to ramp up the pitch across the duration of the sound effect, from normal pitch to +1 octave.
    Next I duplicated the entire thing and layered it against itself, apply panning automation to each so that one expands from center to left, and one from center to right of the stereo field. Gives a sort of expanding / dissipating effect.
    Then I applied a different reverb to each of the two tracks. They're both very shimmery / unnatural sounding verbs.
    The last step was to automate the "wet / dry" ratio of the reverbs to increase over the duration of the effect, so that as the pitch automation rises so does the reverb level.

There we go! Arrow flyby --> invisibility spell!
  10. Oyrren

Oyrren Active Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Inventive man! Nice ones, Nick.

Looking forward to some cracking cold sounds for the frost spells, like snow breaking under your feet when you make your way through it, or even better when you break through an ice layer on a frozen lake. Let the feeling of absolute cold envelope you!
    Nicolas Lee likes this.
  11. Nicolas Lee

12. Aleopheus

Aleopheus Official Project Backer A true warrior of Ahkranox

Great new sound.
  13. Nicolas Lee

Thanks Aleo!

Trap Disarm is next, and I have a hilarious idea for Loot Reveal...
  14. Alex Norton

Is it a recording of you screaming ERMAGHAAAAAD!!!
    Nicolas Lee likes this.
  15. Tsusaku

Tsusaku Active Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Alex, there are actually 2 spell phrases at the moment in the game, if i am correct. Will there be more (will every spell has its own phrase)? Yeah and i am sure i have heard at least one if not both of them somewhere before, i am thinking "Excalibur"?
  16. Alex Norton

There are 3 chants at the moment. Basically, in the world of Ahkranox, magic isn't cast through "magic words". It's more like the Qi used by Chinese monks. They chant to build up their inner energy and focus it into the magic of the spell. More like a meditative process. Casting magic just makes them get tired. Eventually, they run out of energy and are too tired to cast spells, so in that sense, 'mana' in the game is just your own energy, and mana potions are kind of like Redbulls :p
  17. Nicolas Lee

[​IMG]
    Alex Norton likes this.
  18. Nicolas Lee

tnoyce, subsistcyber and Smeggit like this.
  19. WizardStan

WizardStan Chosen One (Moderator) Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Ever since I heard about what makes up the raptor sounds from Jurassic Park, nothing surprises me in the world of sound effects. :p