Server Transfer Announcement

Discussion in 'ANNOUNCEMENTS - PLEASE READ' started by Alex Norton, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Alex Norton

Alex Norton The Lord of Ahkranox Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Hi all, just giving some advance notice that in preparation for the 1.0 release of the game I'm transferring to a new, bigger server.

I'm aiming to have minimal - if any - downtime, but I figured I'd let you know that it's coming soon, just in case at some point you experience connectivity issues with either the game, the website or the forum!

In terms of the update, the test team have been working away amazingly making sure it's all ok now since just after Christmas, and they're almost done, so it won't be far off!
    Barmage, tnoyce, Aleopheus and 5 others like this.
  2. Stefan Clemmensen

Stefan Clemmensen Well-Known Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

After 10 years in the server support business I can say that those are about as famous last words that you'll get when it comes to server migration and uptime, hehe.

Just kidding, I'm sure you'll be fine Alex :)

Must say I'm really looking forward to the big version 1.0!

Do I remember correctly that you once mentioned an official Malevolence launch trailer that you would reveal once it is time for the game to go out of early access and into full launch?

Maybe I'm puching it, but I would love to see that one :D
    Barmage and tnoyce like this.
  3. Alex Norton

There's a special trailer planned for the upcoming expansion (which I've already begun work on) - that won't be too far after the 1.0 launch!
    Barmage, tnoyce, ShoHashi and 4 others like this.
  4. tnoyce

tnoyce Official Beta Tester A true warrior of Ahkranox

Hope the transfer goes smoothly. I'm certain any issues will be resolved quickly.
    Barmage and Alex Norton like this.
  5. Alex Norton

Looks like I may have to move the forum, too, as I have discovered that it's hosting all the forum traffic that is making things so expensive for me!

I guess it's like a bit of a rebirth of the project as we hit v1.0
  6. Alex Norton

To give you guys an idea, btw, in case anyone is feeling as "uggghhhh" as I am about creating a new forum.... It's been costing me $50 a month in hosting fees to keep it running because of the bandwidth it takes up! Compare that to... well... free forums lol

Let's just say this was the awesome beta forum, and now we're going to the 1.0 forum where all the newbies will come to and you old hat, experienced, well travelled warriors will be able to sit back and school the youngn's about how Malevolence was "Back in your day"
    Barmage and Stefan Clemmensen like this.
  7. Stefan Clemmensen

Looking forward to the new forum and the whole 1.0 experience :)

Are we talking days, weeks or month before you expect this to happen Alex?

Just curious as I would hate to miss it hehe, and I got a week long holiday coming up in two weeks time, so I wont be around much during that week :)
    Barmage and tnoyce like this.
  8. Alex Norton

I'd say within the next week for the new forum. For v1.0 maybe 2-3 weeks? Depending on testing. The test team all do it on a totally volunteer basis, so they get to it when they can. I'm just humbled that they help out at all, so I've always encouraged them to test on completely their own schedule :)

There'll be a big overlap, though, as I want everyone who wants to stick around to be able to take the time to migrate over to the new forum and settle in. Realistically, despite this forum having hundreds of users, only about maybe 20 of you are here even close to regularly, so as much as it is a huge imposition for me to do this, it shouldn't be too painful a process.

The saddest part will be losing all of the old forum posts - but that being said, there's something to be said for this being the exclusive secret beta club that you were all privy to, which nobody from the 1.0 crowd will ever get to see. It was just our little place. And such a nice place!
    Barmage and Stefan Clemmensen like this.
  9. Alex Norton

Okay, I'll sneakily put this here, but I'll eventually make this more loud and public, but I've started building the new 1.0 community. You can get to it here. It's a work in progress as I assemble it all, but y'all are more than welcome to sneak over and create an account!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/malevolencegame/

One cool benefit of moving to tapatalk is that you can access the forum through their smartphone/tablet app, rather than being limited to a full browser.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM
  10. Blatherbeard

Blatherbeard Master Barkeep (Moderator) Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

idk if anyone else has, and if not.............FIRST!! lol
    tnoyce and Alex Norton like this.
  11. Alex Norton

12. Blatherbeard

Blatherbeard Master Barkeep (Moderator) Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

omfg, never EEEEBER hit the original button. MY EYES!!
  13. Alex Norton

Come on though, Blathers. We all knew you'd be the first lol
  14. Alex Norton

I took great pains to make it not burn the eyeballs. If you switch back to the original it's your own bloody fault lol
    Shephard likes this.
  15. Stefan Clemmensen

Registered on the new forum with the username Stefacle, same as my Steam username :)

My real name will remain a secret, only known by the beta community here :D
    Shephard, ShoHashi and Alex Norton like this.
  16. ShoHashi

ShoHashi Warrior of Ahkranox A true warrior of Ahkranox

Got myself registered over there as well! I can see it's going to take a little getting used to, but I'll adapt! :)
    Shephard and Alex Norton like this.
  17. Alex Norton

You guys are all such champs for being so supportive about this. It's really making this process a hell of a lot easier!
  18. Shephard

Shephard Warrior of Ahkranox A true warrior of Ahkranox

Always happy to support you in any way that I can Alex. And I am sure everyone here would say exactly the same. :)
    Alex Norton and ShoHashi like this.
  19. Barmage

Barmage Senior Warrior of Ahkranox A true warrior of Ahkranox

I'm on the new forum too. You have my full support as with the rest of the warriors of Ahkranox.:cool:
    Alex Norton likes this.
  20. Alex Norton