ShoHashi Delves into the Darkness

Discussion in 'The "Let's Play" Collection' started by Alex Norton, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Barmage

Barmage Senior Warrior of Ahkranox A true warrior of Ahkranox

Sorry been a bit quiet recently been busy. Another great episode. Find that boss chest in the next.
    Re your recent questions I use wireless bluetooth headphones (over ear) with built in mic. My first set were made by SoundPeats and purchased thru Amazon. They were very good quality sound but the mic was not very sensitive. I recently bought a new set as the head band was wearing and kept leaving bits of black plastic in my hair. The new set are very similar but made by Kinden, also purchased through Amazon The sound quality is the same but I think the mic is a little better. With reference to system upgrades, besides the new headphones, I have just got a gaming mouse, which I believe you said you recently bought, and was forced to buy a new disc drive as I had problems with my oldest and third ones ( both WD Elements drives 1TB and 4TB) . As my my second one which is a Seagate 4TB and still running fine, I believe these to be the better make and have just purchased a new 4TB Seagate. I was very surprised by the reduction in physical size of the new one. It is only about a quarter of the size of the other 3. I nave reformatted the 2 old WD drives, after managing to retrieve the majority of the data, and, so far, they both appear to be working but I have not loaded much onto them yet. No immediate plans for further upgrades though my consider the graphics card and monitor over the next couple of years.:)

UPDATE
    After cleaning and reorganising my desk today I plugged everything back in and switch on and after 10 minutes the 4TB WD drive blew its power unit (plug end). I connected a similar power unit and the drive still works but, as the alternative is the one for my display I cannot use the WD drive. Think the other WD drive uses the same config. ps I can probably run one or other but will have to search around to see if I have, or can get another one but don't know if the drive is badly faulty and will blow anothwer PS.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    ShoHashi likes this.
  2. tnoyce

tnoyce Official Beta Tester A true warrior of Ahkranox

I've had WD pretty much exclusively. I've stuck with WD over the years, and been pleased with them overall. The data density on newer hard drives is higher than older, so it doesn't take as many platters to store 4Gb. Over the years, hard disks have gone from full size to half height and smaller, primarily due to laptops using the 2.5" variety I think. I saw some statistics a while back from a datacenter using a variety of vendors for their storage servers, and recall that Seagate 4gb were in the very reliable category. All drives 4Gb or less were prone to fail less often than ones over 4Gb based on their monitoring.
    Barmage and ShoHashi like this.
  3. Blatherbeard

Blatherbeard Master Barkeep (Moderator) Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

WD is my new drive, always a good one(4tb wooh!) but if i had my choice id have re bought my samsung. still got 2 1 tb drives that have never given me an issue and i think theyre about 8 years old.
    tnoyce, ShoHashi and Barmage like this.
  4. Alex Norton

Alex Norton The Lord of Ahkranox Staff Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Oh man, my Logitech G-35 set keeps doing that. Drives me mad.
    tnoyce, ShoHashi and Barmage like this.
  5. ShoHashi

ShoHashi Warrior of Ahkranox A true warrior of Ahkranox

Moving along with Episode 94!

6. Alex Norton

It's really cool to see an episode that really shows off the things you can do in town. I feel like a lot of players don't take full advantage of the town functionality.
    Barmage, tnoyce and ShoHashi like this.
  7. ShoHashi

You know, you are right, Alex. I'll have to start spending more time in town doing things! :)
    Barmage, tnoyce and Alex Norton like this.
  8. Alex Norton

Oh don't feel like you have to. You covered it pretty well in this episode! Even going so far as to change item appearance!
  9. ShoHashi

One thing I do want to cover is the Gryphon flying. I don't believe I have done that yet in my videos. :)
    Barmage, Alex Norton and tnoyce like this.
  10. Alex Norton

True! It can be pricey, though. But after catching a glimpse of your gold supply I think you'll be ok haha

You should talk about that one time a guy here on the forums decided to test Malevolence's infinity and spent hundreds of thousands of gold on gryphon trips only to give up after about 80 world segments crossed hahaha he travelled the equivalent of about 40,000 Skyrims lol
    Barmage, ShoHashi and tnoyce like this.
  11. ShoHashi

I don't know...still a little poor! Might have enough for 1 ride! :) :)

Really? I don't remember about that! (But then again, sometimes I can't even remember what I had for breakfast the day before!) I'll have to do some searching in the forums! 40,000 Skyrims????? Holy Geez!
    Barmage, Alex Norton and tnoyce like this.
  12. Alex Norton

I've been trying to find the thread. Didn't quite realise just how many posts there are on this forum hahaha it's a lot to sift through.
  13. Stefan Clemmensen

Stefan Clemmensen Well-Known Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Thanks for another great episode Sho. Didn't really have time to watch it over the weekend, but better late than never.

I haven't really played many of those board games converted to PC games, but like you I'm curious if anybody got any good suggestions.

One that comes to mind is 'Ticket to ride'. Got that one on Steam, and it's a nice little game.

Another game is 'Hand of fate', not really a board game conversion, but the game still got a table top feel to it. I like how it is designed with you sitting across the table from the game master, giving it that great tabletop feel. I have yet to pick up Hand of fate 2, but now that I think of it I really have to get that one soon :)

EDIT: Just remembered 'Guild of dungeoneering' and thought I would add it in here. Again not an actual convertion of a board game, but a fun little game that has the table top feel to it.

I would really like to see an expansion or sequel to that one :)
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  14. ShoHashi

Hi Stefan! Yes, I too have Ticket to Ride. It's not a bad little game although I've never played the actual board version. I also have Hand of Fate and Guild of Dungeoneering, both of which aren't too bad and I do realize also that they are not really ports of board game. I suppose there just aren't many out there....shame really.
    Barmage and Stefan Clemmensen like this.
  15. Wallace Henderson

Wallace Henderson Well-Known Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

It's been so long.

:)

Too long.

Nice video here Sho. It has given me the itch to start up a new run in Malevolence.

Hey Everyone.
  16. Blain

Blain Well-Known Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

It's interesting that the rage right now is the digital conversion of board games. Thinking of oldish board games being converted is hard to come by.

Talisman the board game has been converted to a digital format. Iv'e played the board game solo and liked it. Haven't tried the digital game though. Other conversions though more recent are One Deck Dungeon and the PathFinder card/ board game conversions. I don't know if I'm sold on the digital conversion. Somehow they don't feel the same maybe the mechanics or loss of the tactile pleasure from the components.

I could see a awesome conversion in the future. Hmmmm... oh yes, a board/ card game version of Malevolence!
  17. ShoHashi

I think that some board games are just not the same being ported over to PCs. You kind of miss the "social" aspect. On the other hand, some games such as Life or Monopoly probably wouldn't be bad if they'd add a good AI to play against if you are playing solo. But I think those two games, or at least Monopoly, have been done to death.

I have heard of those....just never really checked them out too good.

Hehe....now there's an idea! :)
    Barmage and Stefan Clemmensen like this.
  18. Alex Norton

lol most people don't realise that Malevolence STARTED life as a card-based boardgame. I made the video game to try and fund its production. Boardgames are EXPENSIVE to get produced! Unfortunately Malevolence never became popular enough to fund it.
  19. ShoHashi

Interesting! I never knew that! :)
    Barmage likes this.
  20. Blain

Blain Well-Known Member A true warrior of Ahkranox

Wow Alex. I never knew that either. How cool is that!

Alex, what aspects of production makes the process expensive?
    Barmage likes this.